Crisis and ConflictWork and Vocation
Healthcare & Social Services
Interview with Claire Hellstern Part I (Race Recordings)
How should we respond to crisis?What is the value of work for me? For my community?
Think of someone you serve or in the community you serve who's "tough" to work with (you can define tough any way that you want). Who is the person? Why are they "tough" to work with? What has been your approach in working with them?
- What do we know about Claire Hellstern? How would you describe the communities she works in?
- What challenges does Claire face? How does she handle them?
- In the interview, Claire talks about "tough people" she has to work with in the community. Who are the "tough people" you face in your day-to-day work? What challenges arise with them?
- How do you handle these challenges? Do you ever question your approach?
- Do you agree with Claire that the best way to handle "tough people" is to use humor and politeness? Are these helpful? Why or why not?
- If you could talk to Claire Hellstern now, what would you talk to her about? What questions would you ask her?
What is one thought or question you have about your approach to "tough people" after this discussion?
Back to Discussion Plans