Crisis and ConflictLove and CompassionWisdom and Contemplation
It Is Dangerous To Read Newspapers
How should we respond to crisis?How does a person learn compassion?What do we hope to learn from meditation or contemplation?
How often do you read newspapers? How does the news make you feel? Share your reflections with a partner.
- How did this poem make you feel?
- How does the speaker talk about her everyday life in comparison with the larger world?
- Why does the speaker claim she is the cause of the horrors she describes? Do you agree?
- The speaker says, “I reach out in love, my hands are guns.” What do you make of this?
- How do we contribute to injustices? Should we feel guilty for things that we seemingly have no control over?
- Do you agree that “it is dangerous to read newspapers”?
- Do you think it is better to be informed about the injustices around the world or to remain in the dark to things beyond your immediate experience?
How do you think we can be compassionate for the world? Share your thoughts with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans