Leadership and ResponsibilitySpeech and Expression
Service & VolunteerismLocal Communities
Letter to the Local Police
What do we expect from the people we lead? What do we expect from our own leaders?Who has the right to speak for a community?
Have you ever gone to the police or other authority figure with a concern about your community? How did they respond to you? Share your reflections with a partner.
- What do you think of this poem?
- How does the speaker feel about their community?
- Why does the speaker say that the roses show a disregard for “minimal traits of decency”?
- Is the poem serious or a satire? What do you think its message is?
- What is the responsibility of public authorities in our communities?
- What is the responsibility of residents and citizens?
- What kind of voice do you have in your community or workplace? How do you express your concerns and interests?
What are your closing thoughts about your own voice and role in your community? Share your thoughts with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans