Motives and ValuesServing and Volunteering
More College Graduates Take Public Service Jobs
Do one’s motives for serving or giving matter? How?Why do we serve?
First, list three reasons you are doing service work right now. Then talk about which of the reasons feels best to you and which--if any--feels troubling.
- What do you think of the assertion that “The millennial generation is a generation that is... more interested in making a difference than making a dollar”? If you're a student, does that hold true for you? If you're an administrator, is that what you've seen from your students?
- Do young people's motives for serving matter -- either in college or afterwards? How?
- Is "falling" into service work or choosing public service as a last resort a bad thing?
- Why did you choose to serve? Was your decision related to future career goals? In what ways?
- Where, if anywhere, do you see yourself in this article? Where do you see your (fellow) students?
Pick one word or phrase to describe what you imagine yourself doing 5 years from now. Then briefly describe what gets you there.
Back to Discussion Plans