Leadership and ResponsibilitySocial and Political Change
Trying to Name What Doesn’t Change
Nye, Naomi Shihab
What makes a good leader?What is change? Do people experience change differently?
Ask participants to read the poem quietly to themselves and then take one minute of quiet to reflect on it, writing down any thoughts that first come to mind. Give a few participants the opportunity to share their thoughts.
- What image or phrase stood out for you?
- How is change described in the poem?
- What does “spidery change" look like in your environment?
- What kinds of change do you experience most often? What kinds of change, if any, do you prefer?
- Many have described this point in time as a time of great challenge. What can you name in community engagement that is changing? What can you name in community engagement that isn’t changing?
- What kind of leadership is necessary during times of change? What kind of leadership is necessary to create change?
For individual reflection, in thought or in writing: What image or phrase from the poem or the discussion reflects the kind of leadership you would like to bring to these challenging times?
Back to Discussion Plans