Leadership and ResponsibilityServing and Volunteering
Service & VolunteerismLocal Communities
Police Escorting African American Mothers with Grade School Kids
What do we expect from the people we lead? What do we expect from our own leaders?Is my service effective? How do I know?
Think of a time when you observed an authority figure fulfill or fail their responsibilities. Share your experience with a partner.
- What is your first emotional reaction to this image?
- Which person(s) have power in this photograph?
- What kinds of injustice and justice do you see in the image?
- What social roles do you see in the image? Are the responsibilities for these social roles fulfilled or failed?
- Who are the leaders in this image? Are they successful leaders? Why or why not?
- What are the relationships between race, gender, profession, and power in this photograph?
- How do we lead others? What responsibilities do we have for those we lead?
- What responsibilities do those in power, professionally or socially, have?
What do you think of when you hear the word, “responsibility”? Share your thoughts with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans