Identity and Community
Arts & CultureMuseums & Libraries
They’ll Say, ‘She Must Be from Another Country’
How do we define who we are?How has my family or background shaped who I am?Is your sense of individual identity ever in conflict with your community? How?To what extent does your identity determine the communities you join?What do people gain or lose from joining a group or a community?What makes a community strong? What makes it weak?
Think of a time when you were labeled "different" -- who labeled you? What difference did you notice about yourself? How did you respond? Why did you respond the way you did?
- What things make her "from another country"? What about them?
- Why do you think they keep saying that she must be from another country? What do they gain from doing this?
- In your community, what differences are you most aware of?
- How does difference matter or not matter in your community and work? When does difference help? When does it get in the way?
- Do you think she wants to be part of them? How does one's identity inform the community they'd belong to?
- How do individuals connect across difference in a community? How could we help make it happen?
If you met the speaker, what would you say to her?
Back to Discussion Plans