Giving and ReceivingHeritage and Tradition
Service & VolunteerismEducation
When I give, what do I expect in return? What do I receive?How do I understand my heritage and traditions?How have my past and heritage shaped me?
Think of a memory from your childhood involving soldiers or the military. How did you feel about that experience then and how do you feel now? Share your reflections with a partner.
- How does the speaker describe the scene in the first half of the poem?
- How does the speaker describe the classroom scene in the second half of the poem?
- What is the difference between the girls’ and the boys’ behavior in the poem?
- Why does the speaker mention the graves of friends?
- What do you think of the poem’s title?
- How do you think people should honor veterans and war memorials?
- Have your own memories of war and veterans informed your sense of identity or social role?
- How do you honor influential people in your personal or professional life?
- Does any part of the poem resonate with you?
What do you think are the best ways to honor people in our personal and professional lives? Share your thoughts with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans