Roles and BoundariesTeaching and Learning
Is it important to set boundaries? Why?What happens when boundaries are crossed? Can they change?What are the qualities of a good teacher?
Think of someone whose motives or personality you misjudged. Why did you misjudge them and how did your judgment make you feel? Share your thoughts with a partner.
- How does Wing Biddlebaum feel about his hands? How do his feelings about and use of them change throughout his life?
- Why does Biddlebaum stop being timid when George Willard visits him? Why does he tell George he is afraid of dreams?
- Do you think that Wing Biddlebaum is guilty of anything? Why or why not?
- Wing Biddlebaum’s teaching method included “the stroking of the shoulders and the touching of the hair.” What do you think of his method of teaching?
- What do you think the boundaries between teachers and their students should be?
- How should teachers “carry a dream into the young minds” of their students? What are the specifics of their responsibilities and roles?
What is one question you are left with about teaching methods and best practices in education? Share your question with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans