Citizenship and DemocracySocial and Political Change
Service & VolunteerismLocal Communities
Cavafy, C. P.
What is change? Do people experience change differently?
Think of a time when you doubted your work and its impact on the world. How did your skepticism affect your work? Share your thoughts with a partner.
- What makes the other speaker want to leave their city? What is the main speaker’s response?
- Do you agree that “you’ll find no new places” and that nothing changes between different places?
- What doubts does the speaker have? Why is he or she skeptical?
- In your own work, when is there conflict between your work and the impact or outcomes? Do you ever have doubts about the impact of your work?
- What do you think about the end of the poem?
What is one question you are left thinking about after this conversation about doubt and skepticism? Share your question with the group.
Back to Discussion Plans