Diversity and DifferenceRace, Ethnicity and Culture
Woke Up Black (clip)
How do we connect with those who are different from us?How does race affect our relations to others?
Think of a time you connected with someone because you shared a similar identity. Who did you connect with? What identity did you share? Did you feel more connected with this person than others? Why or why not?
- What do we know about Morgan and her background? What are some of the challenges she faces?
- What do you make of Morgan’s assertion that she’d “rather be an oreo than a stereotype”?
- Why does Morgan "always" feel like she's “missing something” at her university?
- Are your friends more likely to be similar to you or different than you? Why do you think that is?
- Do you think Morgan needs to have friends who are African-American?
- In what ways is it difficult to relate to people who do not share your identity/ies? In what ways is it a useful or positive thing?
- Where, if anywhere, do you see yourself in this video?
Quick go-round fill in the blank: ____________ matters to me more: "difference" or "sameness"
Back to Discussion Plans